Thursday 5 December 2013

GRP rear boot box

The rear box was missing from the original build. I am trying to update the car and give it a new look so decided to fit a boot box. I probably won't be going on any long runs with the car but somewhere to store a few tools and a few odd and ends like a puncture repair kit would be useful.

Thanks to Julian from Aerodynamix who sold me a s/h boot box for £25 I was able to a) ascertain that the standard Westfield box did not fit may car and b) Because of the overall poor fit the Playskool part was unlikely to be any better. Why pay full price for something you are going to hack about.  My bodywork is definitely off a very early wide body and not many after market accessory panels fit it.

The standard box from Westfield has now been hacked around to fit (more or less). I put together a prototype together with "structural duct tape" and posted the results on Facebook and achieved the usual helpful comments (not). I have now cut up some GRP (PC board) sheets to blank off the ends where the roll cage transcends the bodywork.

To make the now custom boot box fit at the sides of the early bodywork I used the tub to cast the resin and filled it with matting. Hope it comes out?!

Contents

There is a contents page Link

Early prototype "structural duct tape"
Side fit
Rear fit

 
Here is the box reassembled with POC boards used to fill in the gaps.

Custom box takes shape

Gap filling resin with added heat

Finished - coat of paint



No comments:

Post a Comment